What is Acupuncture?Acupuncture involves the use of very fine, sterile, disposable needles inserted into the body at specific meridian points. Mapped over centuries, these meridians are the channels which carry Qi and Blood (energy and substance) throughout the body. When stimulated, these points regulate the flow of energy, cleanse the system of toxic waste, nourish the body on a cellular level, and promote healing and restoration of the body to its natural balance.
When Qi and Blood become stagnant, pain and/or dysfunction occur. By moving the stagnant Qi and Blood, pain and/or dysfunction can be relieved as the body regains the natural flow of these substances. This can be accomplished by placing needles on specific points or using other methods such as Tui-Na, a specialized massage technique specific to Oriental Medicine; Cupping techniques to create therapeutic suction using smooth edged "cups" that are placed against the skin; and electro-stimulation on specific points and meridians using a very mild form of electricity similar to the body's natural electric current.
Acupuncture: What does it relieve?There are many disorders are recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as suitable treatment by acupuncture. Some of these disorders include:
- Infections - Colds, flu, bronchitis, hepatitis.
- Internal - Hypoglycemia, diabetes, asthma, blood pressure, ulcers, colitis, irritable bowel, nausea, heartburn, hemorrhoids, constipation, diarrhea, chronic fatigue, immune disorders.
- Eyes-Ears-Nose-Throat - Earaches, deafness, ringing in ears, poor eyesight, retinitis, conjunctivitis, uncomplicated cataracts, sinusitis, sore throat, allergies.
- Musculoskeletal & Neurological - Arthritis, back pain, bursitis, tendonitis, headaches, migraines, stroke, cerebral palsy, pre- and post-operative care, repetitive strain, chronic pain.
- Genito-Urinary & Reproductive - Impotence, infertility, PMS, PID, vaginitis, yeast infections, prostatitis, cramps, morning sickness, UTI, irregular periods, menopause.
- Mental & Emotional - Depression, anxiety, insomnia, addictions, weight loss.
- Dermatological - Eczema, psoriasis, acne, herpes.
Celestial Crane Specializes in:
- Musculoskeletal injuries and imbalances
- Including athletic endurance and sports injuries
- Immunity and allergy issues
- Women's health
- Emotional and addiction-related problems
Acupuncture: What to expect.Most people find acupuncture relaxing as well as uplifting to the body and spirit. The frequency and number of treatments vary depending on the nature of the disorder, its severity and duration. A detailed health history and consultation are part of your first session.
Will it hurt?There is usually very little pain with insertion of the needles, though people are different in their sensitivity to the needles. This is assessed and taken into consideration during your initial consultation. After insertion of the needle, there may be a feeling of heaviness or denseness experienced at or near the point of insertion. Other times, there is a feeling of movement throughout the body as Qi moves in the channels, sometimes activating points on the body regardless if there is a needle inserted there or not. The pleasant feelings of being relaxed and/or energized, or even euphoric are all normal reactions to acupuncture.
Needle-free options are also available.